Meet the designers
Matt Nichol gained a BSc.(Hons) from The University of Birmingham in 1997 and later returned to Pershore Horticultural College to study Garden Design in 2001. He began his full time design career with Notcutts Landscapes in 2002. It was there he was given the opportunity to work alongside and learn from some of the best designers working in the UK. He quickly built on his training and gained invaluable experience working in a ‘Design and Build’ company. Matt also enjoyed building annual show gardens with the team at the Chelsea Flower Show.
Matt began a joint Garden Design and Build company in 2006 employing a large team of landscapers which would later become Matt Nichol Garden Design in 2011 upon his relocation to Cheshire. Matt now focuses purely on designing gardens but he still relies on his extensive experience of the construction process when working on his schemes.
- Winner of the BALI (British Association of Landscape Industries ) National Landscape Award for Design Excellence 2018
- Northern Design Awards, Garden Designer of the Year 2012
- Planting Consultant at Chelsea 2008 for the Courtyard Garden; ‘Where the Wild Things Are’. Awarded Silver Gilt.
- Awarded Full Membership of the Society of Garden Designers in 2004
- Appeared on BBC1 programme ‘Inside Out’ 2004.
- Member of show team at Chelsea Flower Show 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and Gardeners World Live 2004.
Sarah Heyes gained a BSc. (Hons) in Ecology from the University of Edinburgh in 1997 and pursued a career in ecological management. She managed a number of environmental projects ranging from red squirrel conservation in the Lake District to chalk stream management in the Chilterns before relocating to the North West in 2004. Sarah managed European funded projects for the Mersey Basin Campaign for 6 years, where she gained invaluable experience developing community green spaces with partners in Germany and Holland.
Sarah took a career break to start a family and decided to retrain in Garden Design. She gained her Diploma in Garden Design in 2011 and worked as a free lance garden designer for 2 years before joining Matt Nichol Garden Design in 2013. Sarah works with Matt on a full range of garden design projects and strives to incorporate ecological sympathetic elements in her designs.