Old Versus New
The brief for this Warwickshire garden was to explore the use of traditional materials and planting on a modern barn conversion. The design needed to consider how the sun moved around the property and the client wanted to use different parts of the garden at different times of the day. It needed to have a relaxed rural feel and respond to the wider countryside.
- Use of geometry to create different garden zones
- Linear design one one side, curved design on the other
- Clay paver paths to connect the different zones
- Timber pergola features
- Intimate seating area with thyme detail
- Feature lighting to maximise garden use in the evening
Planting borders were carefully placed to create visual interest and seasonality throughout the garden. By building on the existing plants, the new planting used a mix of formal and relaxed elements to give a classical feel to the garden. Clipped box balls and new trees provided structure, whilst bold perennials and grasses created softness.